Grants & Assistance for New Businesses
You may be eligible for one of the many sources of funding available for businesses in Victoria if you:
- Need to kick-start your business to get it up and running
- Require extra funds to grow your business
- Want to undertake research and development
- Are currently exporting or planning to export
Financial assistance for your business may come in the form of a grant from government or from private industry.
The three main categories under which you can find government grants and financial assistance include:
- Starting a new business or business expansion
- Research and development
Starting a new business and business expansion
The Victorian Government, through Business Victoria, offers services and advice to help Victorian businesses to become internationally competitive.
You can search for a program or grant (new window) through the interactive 'Grants and Programs Wizard'.
New Enterprise Initiative Scheme (NEIS)
If you're 18 years or older, receiving payments from Centrelink and have a viable business idea, you may be eligible for the New Enterprise Initiative Scheme (NEIS) (new window).
Through this program you'll:
- Receive a nationally accredited Certificate IV in Small Business Management
- Undertake an intensive training course and develop a business plan
- Receive ongoing financial assistance for up to 12 months if the NEIS panel approves your business plan
Business Victoria's export connections site lists export Programs, grants and assistance (new window).
The Federal Government's Export Market Development Grants Scheme (EMDG) (new window) provides assistance to small and medium Australian businesses to develop export markets by reimbursing part of their export promotional expenses
Research and development (R&D)
The Business Victoria site outlines funding opportunities for:
Where else can I find funding assistance?
Links for grants and assistance
Business Victoria - Grants and Assistance
Programs and financial support for Victorian businesses.
Business Victoria - Regional Victoria Grants Opportunities
A comprehensive list of grant opportunities in regional and rural Victoria.
Federal Government grant site where you can search for business grants.
Supports industry, research and innovation, in particular, growing small businesses, commercialising new technologies and applying for tax and duty concessions.