Ringtones & downloads
Ringtones and downloads are popular, but there's a lot of companies offering deals that can end up costing you a lot of money if you aren't careful. If you're thinking about downloading something, make sure you aren't getting locked into a bad deal first.
Here's a few checks you can make before you SMS:
- find out whether your phone handset is a model that's able to get the ringtone or download
- check to see what the cost of each download is
- read carefully to see whether you are getting a one-off download or signing up to a subscription service or 'club'
- find out before you subscribe what you will have to do to stop the service
- write down and keep the details of the unsubscribe information and the
provider's customer service telephone number
- don't sign up if you're not sure what the costs are
If you think you've been ripped off, first try to sort things out with the service provider. If that doesn't work out, contact Consumer Affairs Victoria (external link) on 1300 55 81 81.