Between September and October 2015, more than 2000 young people took part in What's Important To Youth?, a series of consultations across Victoria to help inform the Victorian Government's 2016 youth policy.
Findings of the consultation
The top three issues of importance to young people, as identified by the consultation, were:
- mental health
The consultation also identified the need for these issues to be addressed early.
The responses to the consultation were wide-ranging and insightful, covering issues including:
- fluctuations in the job market
- experiences of family violence
- financial circumstances
- the influence of drugs and alcohol.
The consultation took place using a range of methods, including:
- a discussion paper
- an online survey
- face-to-face consultations conducted with non-Government organisations.
The full report, including the findings of the consultations and the resulting youth policy, can be found on the Victorian Government Youth Policy page. You can also:
- read individual submissions to the discussion paper on our Discussion Paper Responses page
- read the reports prepared by the non-government organisations involved in the consultation on our NGO Reports - Youth consultation page.
The results of this consultation were used by the Victorian Government to develop an approach that focused on understanding how government can better work with young people so that solutions and ideas can be developed together.