Grants & Where to Find Them
A grant is a payment that's awarded to a person or organisation in order to help them to do things like study, do a research project, or put together and run a community program or event.
There are lots of grants out there, offered by lots of different organisations, including:
- government funding
- sponsorships from private companies
- grants and scholarships offered by community organisations.
Some of these grants, sponsorships and scholarships are targeted specifically at young people.
Who can get a grant?
Grants are often made available to:
- youth organisations
- community groups
- sport and recreation clubs
- local government
- not-for-profit organisations
How to find a grant
- Our Youth Programs page has information about support and assistance the Victorian Government provides to young Victorians.
- Grants Victoria is a Victorian Government directory of grants you can browse by category or search using keywords.
- The Victorian Government's Office for Youth has a list of youth grants (new window).
- You could also talk to career advisors, teachers or librarians at your high school, university or TAFE - they may know about grants or be able to help you find some.
How to apply for a grant
Every grant is different, with different requirements. It's important to get a copy of the grant guidelines to make sure:
- you're actually eligible to apply
- you know what criteria to address in your application
- you know when the application is due.
Remember: funding bodies prefer to fund organisations and groups that can show they have the resources to make their project work, and that can start as soon as possible.
This doesn't mean new groups or organisations that have never applied for a grant before shouldn't apply. It just means you need a clear and practical plan to go with your good idea.
- Our 7 tips for writing grant applications page has advice about writing a grant submission
- Our Scholarships and Philanthropic Programs page has information about other kinds of financial assistance out there.
Directory of Victorian Government grants including education, arts, health and sport.
Department of Health and Human Services - Youth Grants
List of currently available grants aimed at helping young Victorians.
Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure - Grants
Offering a range of grants relating to sport and recreation and community infrastructure.