Involve - Youth Ministerial Advisory Committee
The Involve Committee is the Victorian Government's youth advisory group. It provides advice on a regular basis to the Minister for Youth Affairs about issues that affect young people.
Who's On the Involve Committee?
The Involve Committee is a group of young people from all over Victoria. It's the official Advisory Committee for the Minister for Youth Affairs. The committee's role is to:
- ask young people what they think about different topics
- meet with people from government and the community
- develop advice to present to the Minister for Youth Affairs
Members of the Involve committee sign up for up to 18 months and will meet once a month. The committee is made up of 19 young people who are representative of young Victorians aged 12-25 years.
In June 2013, the Minister for Youth Affairs announced that 19 new young members had been appointed to the latest Involve Advisory Committee. A full list of appointees and their profiles will be made available soon.
The first Involve Committee announced by the Minister for Youth Affairs in January 2012 ran from February until June 2013. The Involve Committee 2012-13 Report (PDF, 1.38MB) with a summary of their key findings is available to download.
Want to Get Involved?
It's not just Involve Committee members who can get involved in making a difference in the community. There are heaps of ways you can get involved, from organising a gig in your local area, to working with local government on youth issues, or hotly debating topics in Youth Parliament.
The Victorian Government is supporting and celebrating young people's desire to get involved in their community, by providing opportunities for young people to be involved in volunteering and decision-making at the local community and state level, and supporting communities and agencies across state government to successfully involve young people in their voluntary and decision-making activities.
The following are a few ways that you can participate in Victorian Government programs which support your involvement.
Actively contribute to your community through volunteering
- the Advance school volunteer program lets government school students from year 9 to 12 get actively involved in the local community
- the FReeZA program (new window) helps you to organise your own gigs, shows, exhibitions and events in your local area.
- I Can Do That! (new window) is the Victorian Government's volunteering portal, listing lots of opportunities to volunteer in your local community
Be recognised for your contributions to our community as a young person
- taking place in April every year, National Youth Week is a week-plus of events organised by young Victorians to celebrate and acknowledge their contributions to the community
Become involved in State Government decision making, and decision making in local communities
- Youth Parliament is a great opportunity to take the reins of government and see how Parliament works first-hand while creating and debating legislation that is important and relevant to you
- every year the National Youth Week grants award funding to NYW events that are managed by and for young people, and every year young Victorians are closely involved in the selection of successful grant applicants
- the Youth Action Strategy grants program for local government provides rural and regional areas with ways to support the involvement of young people in local decision making
For more information on the Involve committee, please call 9096 1712 during business hours.
Back to more youth programs.