Victorian Youth Congress
The Victorian Government is looking for young people who are interested in becoming part of the Victorian Youth Congress.
What is the Victorian Youth Congress?
The Victorian Youth Congress is a flagship project under the Victorian Government’s Youth Policy: Building Stronger Youth Engagement in Victoria.
The Congress will involve 20 young Victorians, aged 12 to 24, who will engage in dialogue with the State Government on priority issues that have been identified by young people through the Victorian Government’s Youth Summit on 31 March 2017.
Members of the Victorian Youth Congress will consult young people from across the state to further develop ideas and proposals on these priority issues, which will then be discussed with the Minister for Youth Affairs, other ministers and representatives from state government departments.
The Congress is a key part of the Victorian Government’s Youth Policy: Building Stronger Youth Engagement in Victoria. It will provide an engagement channel for young people to shape change and connect with government.
If you are between 12 and 24 and interested in advocating for young people and influencing government, you are encouraged to apply.
How much time is involved?
Being part of the Victorian Youth Congress will require a 12-month commitment between June 2017 and June 2018.
You will need to have time to:
- participate in an induction and planning event to take place in late June 2017
- attend a total of six meetings on a Friday evening over a 12-month period
- meet with representatives from Victorian state government departments
- communicate with other congress members between meetings
- prepare for and present to the Minister for Youth Affairs and other ministers on priority issues for young people on at least two occasions.
What about any costs incurred?
As the Victorian Youth Congress meetings will be conducted in Melbourne, the Office for Youth will cover reasonable travel and accommodation expenses.
Apply to join the Victorian Youth Congress
There are three ways you can apply to be a member of the Victorian Youth Congress.
1. Submit an online application
To submit an online application, just fill in the Victorian Youth Congress application form here (new window).
2. Submit a written application
To submit a written application, download and complete the form below and email or post it to:
Youth Congress Applications
Office for Youth
Department of Health and Human Services
PO Box 4057, Melbourne, Vic, 3000
Word version - Victorian Youth Congress application form (Word, 202 KB)
PDF version - Victorian Youth Congress application form (.pdf, 235 KB)
3. Submit a video application
To submit a video application:
- upload your video application to YouTube
- submit a link to the video using the online application form above.
In your video, make sure you:
- answer all six questions
- provide your personal and contact details
- set your video as "unlisted" in the privacy settings (this means only people with the link can see it).
- Applications close on 30 April 2017.
- Interviews with shortlisted candidates will take place on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 May 2017.
- Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application by 26 June 2017.
If you have any questions about the Victorian Youth Congress or the application process, please contact the Office for Youth at email@example.com or on (03) 9096 1712.