Study help for care leavers
Applications for La Trobe University care leaver bursaries worth $500 are open until 30 April 2017. Visit the La Trobe University Care Leaver Bursary page (new window) for more information.
Every year over 400 young Victorians leave state care. They might have been in foster care, residential care or living with family or extended family in kinship care.
If you've lived in care, you may have had to change schools several times, which may have made it hard for you to learn and have a stable education. You may not have received the support you needed to finish high school, or thought about going on to TAFE or University.
Raising Expectations is a project aimed at helping people leaving care who are 18 and over to go to TAFE and university.
What is Raising Expectations?
Raising Expectations is about getting more people who have been in care to go onto university, including through TAFE pathway courses and to open up the future life opportunities that completing a higher education qualification can bring.
To help make this happen the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare is partnering with Federation University Australia and La Trobe University, with assistance from MacKillop Family Services and Anglicare Victoria. The project is funded by the Sidney Myer Fund.
As part of this project, Federation University Australia and La Trobe University offer services, supports and financial assistance to make university study a real possibility for care leavers.
They also offer pathways and programs that can give you the skills you need to feel more confident and better prepared for study.
Both universities have campuses across Victoria.
How it works
If you apply for courses through VTAC using the Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS), you can identify that you have been in care. Federation University Australia and La Trobe University can then link you into their tailored services and supports.
- 160 care leaver students applied through SEAS and the VTAC portal and nominated La Trobe University in their course preferences
- 65 care leaver students are enrolled at Federation University Australia
- care leavers are studying at other universities, although specific student numbers are not known.
Who to contact
To find out more:
- visit the Raising Expectations website (new window)
- contact Joanna Humphries on Joanna.firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9094 3509
- contact Federation University or La Trobe University on the details below.
Federation University Australia
- Contact Pearl Goodwin-Burns, Care Leaver Coordinator, on 03 5327 9496 or email@example.com.
- Visit the Federation University Australia care leavers support page (new window).
La Trobe University
- Call 1300 135 045.
- Visit the La Trobe University Care leavers page (new window).
- Take part in a live online chat with the La Trobe University customer help service (new window).
- Visit the Future Students Centre - Ground Floor, David Myers Central Building, La Trobe University Bundoora Campus, Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.