Youth Allowance & Other Allowances


When you’re studying full-time or part-time (or if you’ve just finished studying and are looking for work) there are Commonwealth government allowances you can apply for.

If you’re eligible you’ll receive fortnightly payments to help you pay for your textbooks, course materials and other living costs.

Youth Allowance

If you're between 16 and 24 and studying full-time (or doing a full-time apprenticeship or traineeship) you can apply for Youth Allowance (new window).

Youth Allowance is an automatic payment that you receive every fortnight, paid straight into your bank account. The rate of pay depends on things like:

  • If you have a job
  • How much you’re earning if you do have a job
  • If you live away from home
  • Whether or not you have children


If you're 25 or older and studying full-time (or doing a full-time apprenticeship or traineeship) you can apply for Austudy (new window). Austudy is a fortnightly payment made to your bank or other account.


If you're an Indigenous person and are studying either full-time or part-time at secondary or tertiary level, you can apply for  ABSTUDY (new window) payments.

The rate of ABSTUDY payments depends on things like your age, what you’re studying and how much you earn if you’re doing paid work.


If you're over 21, unemployed, looking for work and prepared to undertake an Employment Pathway Plan, you can apply for Newstart Allowance (new window).

Newstart is not specifically a student allowance, but part-time and full-time students can apply if they meet the requirements.

Pensioner Education Supplement

The Pensioner Education Supplement (PES) (new window) is provided to people who receive a pension (including disability support pensions, parenting payments, widow allowance and payments from the Department of Veterans' Affairs) and who are studying either full-time or part-time.


If you're a primary, secondary or tertiary student and you can't go to an appropriate government school because you live too far away, your family may qualify for the Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme (new window).

Fares Allowance

If you’re at uni or TAFE and have to live away from your permanent home while studying, Fares Allowance (new window) can help you afford to travel between your permanent home and your place of study.

You can qualify for Fares Allowance if you already receive Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY or PES as long as you meet the residence requirements.

How Do I Find Out If I’m Eligible?

Check out the Centrelink website (new window) for details on what kind of payments are available and which ones you might be eligible for, including Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance and other payments.

For more info on how to survive on a student budget check out our Student concessions and Student resources pages.