$300,000 is available to support African and Pasifika young people to participate in sports competitions and events to foster a sense of belonging and create pathways to mentoring, training and employment opportunities.
- Up to $2,000 for uniforms and equipment
- Up to $30,000 to support participation in sports games, competitions and events
- Available to African and Pasifika sports teams supported through local government and community organisations.
Open until 11:59pm Wednesday 19 May
The Victorian Government’s African and Pasifika Youth Sports Program supports informal sports teams to participate in competitions and events in partnership with local councils and community organisations.
Funded programs must be delivered between 1 July and 31 December 2021. Funding is available in two streams, with up to $2,000 available for equipment and uniforms and up to $30,000 to support participation in competitions and events.
To be eligible for funding your team must:
- live in Victoria
- have African and/or Pasifika young people aged 12-25 as participants
- hold activities in a safe and inclusive environment.
The following are not eligible:
- applications for individual young people
- primary or secondary school sport and recreation clubs
- university or TAFE sport clubs that participate in inter-school competitions
- activities requiring young people to register as a member or to pay membership or other fees.
Category one grants—uniforms and equipment
Grants of up to $2,000 are available for African and/or Pasifika teams to purchase sports uniforms and/or equipment for young people participating in informal sports teams, games or events.
Grants can be used to cover these costs:
- grants must be spent on equipment and/or uniforms used in informal sporting activities eg. Clothing, shoes, boots, bats, balls, racquets, nets, first aid equipment etc.
Category two grants—informal sports teams, games and events
Grants of up to $30,000 are available to assist African and/or Pasifika sports teams to engage young people to participate in sports games, competitions and events. These grants also focus on providing pathways into formal sporting organisations as well as mentoring, training and employment opportunities for young people.
Grants can be used to cover these costs associated with managing informal sports teams, games and events:
- staffing costs: salary for program coordinator and event staff
- operational costs: costs to hire venues and sports grounds
- training and capacity building costs: mentoring/coaching and leadership development for participants.
Successful programs will be developed with young people and will focus on these objectives:
- strengthening health and wellbeing
- increasing community engagement
- building social interactions
- maintaining the integrity of informal sports organisations
- providing pathways into formal sports organisations
- providing mentoring, training and employment opportunities.
Who can apply?
Informal sports teams – sports teams that are not affiliated with a club or association – can apply for a grant in Categories 1 and 2; however in order to receive funding they must enter into support arrangement with a council or community organisation that meets the criteria in the grant guidelines.
Local government and community organisations – can apply for or support an informal sports team if they meet the criteria to be funded through a service agreement with DFFH.
Commercial organisations or bodies established for profit-making purposes cannot apply for a grant from the African and Pasifika Youth Sports Program.
How to apply
Step 1: Read the grant guidelines to make sure your team and project are eligible
Step 2: Consider the assessment criteria in terms of your project
Step 3: Discuss your application by contacting Mark Hobbs, Manager of Community Support and Coordination on 0400 536 628
Step 4: Complete and submit this application form by 11:59pm on 19 May 2021. Your application will be submitted to the Office for Youth, Department of Families, Fairness and Housing.
COVID-19 Safety Requirements
All activities funded under the African and Pasifika Youth Sports Program must comply with the latest health advice and social distancing measures throughout the lifespan of the project.
For more information on current health advice and translated coronavirus (COVID-19) resources, please visit:
For more information or help with your application, please contact the Office for Youth.
Mobile: 0400 536 628