Cover Letter: Letter Only + Work Experience
Use this sample cover letter if:
- You're applying for a job that's been advertised
- You have some formal (paid) work experience
- You've been asked to apply with a cover letter only without submitting your resume
For sample cover letters designed for other situations, check out our Sample Cover Letters page.
Download this sample cover letter:
- Sample Cover Letter: Cover Letter Only + Work Experience - Word (82.66 KB)
- Sample Cover Letter: Cover Letter Only + Work Experience - pdf (67.6 KB)
NOTE: DON'T SUBMIT YOUR COVER LETTER AS A .PDF. Always submit your cover letter as a .doc, .docx or .rtf. If you have trouble with this sample cover letter, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sometimes you're asked to respond to an advertised job in a one-page cover letter without submitting your CV. When this happens it's important to use your cover letter to link your experience and skills to the requirements of the job.
When writing a letter like this you should include:
- Your name, email address and phone number at the top of the page on the right
- The name of the business and the contact person's full name on the left
- The date you wrote the letter on the right
- A reference line (e.g., "Re: Application for Administrative Assistant position")
- An address to the reviewer directly (e.g., "Dear Mr. Moyle" - try to avoid using "To whom it may concern" if you can)
- An opening statement that briefly introduces you to the reader
- A paragraph that summarises your experience and skills
- A list that clearly outlines how you meet each job requirement (use one bullet point per requirement and make sure each point is no longer than two lines)
- A closing paragraph asking to arrange an interview
Other things you can mention in your cover letter include:
- General skills that help you work in a team and as part of an organisation
- Personal attributes that will help you learn to work in a professional work environment
- Key strengths and contributions that show you are a stand-out applicant
- School work experience or volunteer work that demonstrates your strengths and attributes
- Any sporting or community club participation (if relevant)
- Any hobbies or interests that are relevant to the job or demonstrate your professional experience
Key points of this cover letter are that it:
- Introduces you to the reader
- Responds to the requirements of the job
- Doesn't include too many “I” statements, which can run the risk of disengaging the reader
For more about resumes and cover letters, check out these pages:
Mobile: XXX XXXX XXXX
Mr Allan Moyle
Pride Family Jewellers
Phone: XX XXXX XXXX
23 April 2015
RE: Application for Retail Assistant position
Dear Mr. Moyle,
As a young, motivated individual I am extremely interested in submitting an application for the Retail Assistant role currently advertised at Pride Family Jewellers.
In responding to the specific requirements of this position I would like to highlight how my experience can demonstrate my ability to meet each of these.
- Exceptional communication skills: Articulate communicator who understands the different communication styles required when working with colleagues or customers.
- Previous experience in retail: Four years' experience working at KSmart, providing customer service at registers, lay-by counter and on the retail floor.
- Great attention to detail: Previous retail duties have required high attention to detail, including cash management, sales reconciliation and merchandising displays.
In November 2014 I completed my VCE studies and also obtained a Certificate II in Business Administration.
Above and beyond my experience and capabilities I have been commended for my high level of interpersonal skills and my naturally engaging personality. My motivations include learning new things, the challenge of meeting the needs of an organisation, and ensuring high-quality outcomes.
I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my application and this position in more detail at an interview. I can be contacted at all times on the details provided above.
Thanking you in advance for your time,