Organisations Seeking Volunteers
The following list is just supposed to get you thinking about the kinds of organisations you can volunteer for and the sort of work you can do.
For a comprehensive list of organisations seeking volunteers (and tips about volunteering), check out I Can Do That (new window), the Victorian Government's volunteer information resource.
For other ideas about volunteering opportunities, check out our Volunteer for an Annual Event page.
Arts & media organisations
- Community Broadcasting Online - Find a community radio or TV station near you and contact them about volunteering opportunities.
- FReeZA - Help organise a musical or artistic event in your local area.
Community support organisations
- Girl Guides Victoria - The Guides are always on the lookout for women who'd like to help girls and young women grow into confident, self-respecting, responsible community members.
- Melbourne Citymission -Volunteer opportunities include homeless support, children's and youth services, education support, disability support and employment services.
- The Smith Family - Volunteer opportunities include on-line tutoring and traditional activities like packing Christmas hampers.
- Museum Victoria - Volunteer opportunities are available at Scienceworks, the Melbourne Museum and at the Immigration Museum.
- Clean Up Australia - Volunteer to participate in Clean Up Australia Day or other Clean Up projects.
- Conservation Volunteers Australia - Check out a list of Victorian conservation projects you can volunteer for.
- Country Fire Authority (CFA) - The CFA has a variety of volunteering opportunities, including some for junior volunteers.
- Landcare - Find a Landcare group in your area and get involved in tree-planting and other ways of looking after the land.
- Heart Foundation - Volunteer opportunities include the annual Door Knock Appeal, event organisation and participation, and project work for students.
- St John Ambulance - Volunteers as young as eight can become St John first aiders.
Social justice organisations
- Amnesty International - Help Amnesty fight for human rights and social justice around the world.
- ANTaR (Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation) Victoria - Help support justice and land rights for Indigenous Australians.
- Oxfam Australia - Volunteer opportunities involve communication, administrative and other support for Oxfam campaigns (note that you need to be over 18).