Government Housing Assistance | Youth Central

If you can't afford the cost of housing, like paying rent or finding the money for a bond, there are some government programs out there that can help.

Rent Assistance

If you're on Centrelink benefits like Youth Allowance, Newstart, ABSTUDY or Austudy, you might be eligible for rent assistance, which means you get paid an extra allowance on top of your normal benefit to help you cover rent.

Visit the Centrelink website to find out if you qualify and how you can apply.

For more about benefits, check out our Youth Allowance, Austudy and Other Allowances page.

Bond Assistance

If you're moving into a rental property, you usually have to pay a bond or security deposit to the landlord. A bond is usually equal to one month's rent.

If you don't have the money for a bond, you might be able to get an interest-free Bond Loan through the Victorian Department of Human Services.

Public Housing

Public Housing is a scheme where the Victorian Department of Human Services provides accommodation for people who can't afford to rent at full private rental rates. Public housing rent is much lower than private rates and is tailored to your income.

There are some requirements to be eligible for public housing, like how much you earn or whether or not you own property. The location of the housing you are offered may also be subject to availability. Check out the information about income and asset limits here.

Public housing is in high demand, so you might be put on a waiting list before you can move in. The Department of Human Services has some information about waiting times.

Emergency Accommodation

If you're homeless or at risk of becoming homeless and need immediate help finding somewhere to live, there are many support organisations that can help.

Check out our Emergency accommodation page to find out more.

First Home Owner Grant

If you're buying or building your first house, the Victorian government can help you with a First Home Owner Grant.

This is a one-off payment of up to $10,000 payable to eligible first home owners to help with your purchase or construction.


Centrelink - Rent Assistance
Find out more about Rent Assistance and your eligibility.

Bond Loan Scheme
Find out about the Bond Loan scheme, whether you are eligible and how to apply.
This initiative of the Victorian Social Housing Framework makes it easier to find information about housing and housing assistance.

Housing Options Finder
Answer a few simple questions to find housing options and assistance available to you.

Department of Human Services - Housing Contacts
Find out who to contact in your area about public housing.

State Revenue Office - First Home Owner Grant
Information about the First Home Owner Grant, a one-off payment to eligible first home owners to help with their purchase or construction.