Breakages and repairs | Renting | Youth Central

Asking for repairs

The law says landlords have to make sure the place you're renting is in good repair and reasonable condition before you move in. They also have to take care of repairs while you're renting.

If anything breaks or stops working while you're renting, you may be able to get your landlord to fix it. If you break or damage something, though, you're responsible for paying for the damage.

There are two kinds of repairs: "urgent" and "general". Tenants Victoria has information about repairs for rented homes. They explain the difference between urgent and general repairs and how to ask for repairs from your landlord. 

Urgent repairs

If a repair is urgent, your landlord has to arrange to have it fixed within 2 to 3 days of being told about it. If they haven't arranged repairs, you can arrange repairs yourself. If you pay for these repairs, your landlord should reimburse you.

Urgent repairs are things like:

  • a blocked toilet
  • a leaking roof
  • a gas leak
  • no hot water
  • any damage that makes your home unsafe.

General (non-urgent) repairs

If a repair isn't urgent, the landlord or property manager has 14 days to arrange for repairs. If they don't arrange repairs in that time, you can ask Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) to negotiate for repairs to be made on your behalf. CAV will always ask you to prove that you've already tried to resolve the dispute by speaking to your landlord. 


Tenants Victoria
For residential tenants living in Victoria who require information or help with their legal rights around renting.

RentRight App
This free app has heaps of advice for renters, including email templates for requests like repairs to the property that can help smooth communication between renters and landlords/property managers.

Consumer Affairs Victoria – Renting
Advice on dealing with disagreements between landlords, agents and tenants.

Renting a Home: A Guide for Tenants (.pdf)
This Consumer Affairs Victoria handbook explains landlord, tenant and agent rights and responsibilities under Victorian residential tenancy law.