Here are some ways to find out about current trends for salaries in Australia:
- Hays is an international recruitment company that releases salary reports for a range of industries.
- Hudson is another recruitment company that produces salary guides and industry overviews.
What to do if you’re being underpaid
If you don't think you're getting paid as much as you legally should be, there are things you can do.
If you signed a contract
If you signed a contract or an agreement before starting your job and you think you're being underpaid or working in unfair conditions, you can contact:
- JobWatch - An independent employment rights legal centre
- The Fair Work Ombudsman - Call them on 13 13 94 to get advice about wages and steps you can take
If you don’t have anything in writing
If you don't have a contract or anything in writing, but you think you’re being underpaid, start by finding out the standard pay in your industry for someone of your age and qualifications. You can do this by:
- Calling the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94
- Contacting your union (if you're not a member, find out which union can represent you)
- Contacting a support organisation in your industry
- Asking people who work in the same job or industry as you
- Checking out the pay offered in ads for jobs like yours
Fair Work Ombudsman
Gives advice and helps people understand their workplace rights and responsibilities, including minimum wages and award conditions.
State-wide community legal centre specialising in issues for workers in Victoria, and offering free and confidential advice.
ACTU Worksite - Rights at Work
The Australian Council of Trade Unions provides lots of introductory information about the world of work.