How to apply for a course | Applying for University or TAFE | Youth Central

How you apply for a course will depend on where you are planning to study it.

Filling out a form could be just the first of many steps in the application process. For example, as well as filling out an application, you might be required to:

Applying for university or TAFE

To enrol in a university or TAFE course in Victoria you need to apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). To find out more about VTAC, check out our VTAC offers page.

To apply for university or TAFE course outside Victoria you’ll have to contact the relevant tertiary admissions or qualifications organisation in that state or territory. You’ll find a list of links to higher education providers all over Australia on the QILT (Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching) website.

Make sure you take note of any extra requirements and their due dates (for example, entrance exams). Visit VTAC's entrance requirements page for tips on making sure you've done everything your course application requires.

Applying for short courses

Learn Local has lots of information about how to apply for short courses and adult education. On the Learn Local website you can:

  • find your nearest course provider
  • choose courses by your area of interest
  • read stories by former short course and adult education students.

Applying for the Australian Defence Force

To study with the Australian Defence Force you’ll need to join the Army, Navy or Air Force. Visit the Defence Education site to create an account and apply online.

Make sure you understand the commitment you’ll be making to military service before you apply.

Applying for apprenticeships or traineeships

To apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship you’ll need to find an employer who will take you on. You can also sign up with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

For more info on how to get an apprenticeship or traineeship, check out our Apprenticeships and traineeships section.

Applying for distance education

You can also enrol to do primary school, high school, university and TAFE courses online: 

  • To enrol in primary or secondary school in Victoria through distance education, visit the Distance Education Victoria website.
  • Open Universities Australia lets you enrol in university-level courses online. You can also call 1300 915 807 to enrol by phone, or have the enrolment forms sent to you.
  • Open Colleges allows you to enrol online in TAFE courses. You can also call them on 1300 162 143 to discuss your enrolment. 

Don't be late!

It's impossible to stress too much how important it is to get your course applications in on time. 

  • Make sure you enrol in your course before the cut-off date or you might miss out (some courses allow late applications, but they usually charge a fee).
  • Make sure you take note of extra requirements and their due dates (for example, if you need to sit an entrance exam). 
  • Double-check your application form before you submit it just to be sure you’ve filled it all out correctly.

Good luck!

For more about applying for courses, check out: