Use this sample resume as a basis for your own resume if:
- Your highest level of study is Year 10 or earlier
- You have had some formal (paid) work experience
For sample resumes designed for other levels of education/work experience, check out our Sample CVs page.
Download this sample resume:
- Sample Resume: Yr 10/Earlier + Work Experience - Word (152.74 KB)
- Sample Resume: Yr 10/Earlier + Work Experience - PDF (123.95 KB)
NOTE: DON'T SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AS A .PDF. Always submit your resume as a .doc, .docx or .rtf. If you have trouble with this sample resume, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your highest level of study is Year 10 or earlier, and you've had some formal (i.e., paid) work experience, you've already had a chance to develop some of the key skills that employers are looking for. The challenge, though, is selling yourself.
This sample resume is designed to highlight key information that shows you will make a good employee. It focuses on:
- A marketing statement that highlights your experience and capabilities
- Key skills relevant to the job (and a demonstration of how you've used these skills)
- A list of personal attributes that make you a good employee and a willing team member
- Achievements and contributions from previous jobs that highlight your experience
- Any student work placements, work experience or volunteer positions that show what you can bring to the organisation
Other things you can put on your resume include:
- Written testimonials or referee statements (these can be included in the Employment History section or with the contact details for your referees)
- Any hobbies or interests that are relevant to the job or organisation
- Any sporting or community club participation (if relevant to the job)
This sample resume is two pages long, but your resume may end up only being one page long. A one-page resume is more than acceptable when you're just starting out in the world of work.
If your resume ends up being three pages long, you're probably providing too much information - try cutting some things out and sticking to two pages maximum.
For more about resumes and cover letters, check out these pages:
Mobile: XXXX XXX XXX
Experienced customer service employee seeking full-time opportunities
Young and articulate individual with demonstrated experience working in casual face-to-face customer service roles. Strong interpersonal skills ensuring the ability to work in a highly diverse environment in which respectful and effective communication skills are integral. Proven strengths in cash management, stock control, transaction processing and problem resolution ensuring the ability to transition from casual to full-time customer service roles. Recent school-leaver seeking a full-time position in retail.
Key skills include:
- Customer service (phone and face-to-face)
- Problem solving
- Cash management
- Sales reconciliations
- Transaction processing
- Sales refunds
- Dispute resolution
- Data processing
- Inventory control
- Store-based security
- Stock receipting
- End-of-day processing
- Sales negotiations
- Product selection
Technical Skills: Microsoft Word ~ Microsoft Excel ~ Microsoft Outlook ~ Firefox ~ POS Terminal ~ EFTPos
Bacchus Marsh High School
2013: Achieved highest grade in Business Studies subject
2011: Completed short course in effective customer service skills through school development program
- Reliable: Commended reliability demonstrated by completion of all rostered shifts as well as availability for non-preferred shifts to assist during peak seasons.
- Enthusiastic: Always willing to build morale and improve work environment by showing enthusiasm for tasks and responsibilities.
- Adaptable: High levels of flexibility allow adaptation to demands of a highly competitive and demanding industry.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
KSmart (2011 - Current)
Customer Service Assistant & Lay-By Assistant
This casual position supported general customer service demands while also assisting in the processing of customer lay-bys and stock requests.
Achievements and Contributions:
Customer Service: Provided customer service at registers, lay-by counter and on retail floor. Responded to all customer enquiries, providing support and guidance as required.
Cash Management: Ensured accurate management of all cash sales. Counted out all amounts of cash in front of customers to minimise conflict and ensure accurate reconciliation of daily sales.
Problem Solving: Applied a logical approach to problem solving to minimise conflict and create positive outcomes. Commended for helping others understand reasons for proposed resolutions.
Collaborative Team Member: Collaboration with team members recognised by staff-nominated employee of the month award, awarded 3 times over a 2-year period.
Stock Control: Returned stock to floor and assisted in restocking of products as required. Supported visual merchandising standards while setting up new displays and rotating required stock.
Transaction Processing: Created customer records when processing lay-bys, stock movements and refunds. Ensured stock was allocated and all required information was accurately recorded.
Sales Reconciliations: Assisted shift supervisor in reconciling sales transactions. Provided support through re-checks while helping to resolve discrepancies.
STUDENT WORK PLACEMENTS
Taylor Smith Partners (2013)
Receptionist (2-Week Work Placement)
Achievements and Contributions:
Customer Service: Responded to incoming calls. Screened telemarketing and direct sales calls while transferring customer enquiries to appropriate department.
Administration: Typed general communication and letters to customers and businesses as directed. Ensured accurate development of communication by providing correspondence to supervisor for approval.
Mail: Managed coordination of all incoming and outgoing mail requirements. Organised couriers and urgent letters as required.
Records Processing: Entered customer information into internal records management system. Updated existing customer records while creating new data files as directed.
Visitor Management: Greeted all visitors to site and ensured they understood their obligations and the expectations while on site. Ensured all visitors added details to visitor log.
2013: Bacchus Marsh High School - Year 7 Buddy
2011: Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal - Volunteer Collector
Taylor Smith Partners
Phone XX XXXX XXXX
Customer Service Manager
Phone: XX XXXX XXXX