Discover a career in ICT - get qualified and be paid to do what you love!
Be a part of Victoria’s dynamic and diverse ICT workforce, with more than 145,000 people across a range of industries. From fashion, finance, medicine, media to sport, employers are always looking for people with the right ICT skills. In fact, more than 60 per cent of people working with technology have jobs outside the ICT sector.
A career in ICT is exciting, rewarding, creative, young and fast-paced, and can take you anywhere. With growing demand for ICT skills, you can make a difference doing the things you love. Apply your social networking skills or your ability to design your own apps or websites and build these into a career in ICT.
Victoria is home to world-class universities and TAFEs delivering a wide range of technology courses where you can gain hands-on experience and develop your skills in ICT.
You can learn more about a career in ICT by reading some of the career profiles on this page. The information below will also show you what qualifications, skills and pathways are available to get you the ICT skills to enjoy a rewarding and fulfilling career.
ICT Industry Facts
ICT in Australia:
- has about 544,00 workers in the economy
- generates A$91 billion in gross annual revenue
- exports around A$4.5 billion annually
- is a growing industry with a forecast demand for jobs and 33,000 more positions are expected by 2017.
Victoria is a hub for ICT innovation and hosts leading technology companies, research institutions and universities.
ICT in Victoria:
- provides jobs for more than 145,00 across all industries
- is a strong industry sector, making more than $33 billion annually
- makes up nearly 1 in every 20 jobs
- exports around A$2.23 billion annually
- is home to over one third of the nation’s university students studying ICT courses – the largest share in Australia..
IBM, Microsoft, NEC, Fujitsu, Huawei, Siemens, Computershare and Seek.com are just some of the international and Australian IT companies operating out of Victoria.
Find out more about the different kinds of jobs available in the ICT industry.
Trent - Games Designer - Trent is a games designer for a local games company. He writes the story, which is the "backbone" of the game, and he also designs the gameplay. Meet Trent!
Stewart - Network Solutions Consultant - Stewart designs networks to meet his clients' day-to-day ICT needs. Meet Stewart!
Fiona - Project Administrator - Fiona oversees and manages ICT projects for her clients. She manages software and hardware design and upgrades. Meet Fiona!
Tim - Entrepreneur - Formerly a communications adviser, Tim's does something different every day – from heading out to the Grampians to shoot video for a YouTube clip, to advising clients on promoting their campaigns through social media. Meet Tim!
Hamdam - Consultant - Hamdam works closely with her clients, analysing their businesses and understanding what they need from their IT systems. Meet Hamdam!
MARKET AND SELL
Anthony - Co-owner of successful mobile app development company - Anthony was formerly responsible for managing the Cricket Victoria website and all of Cricket Victoria’s marketing via mobile technology and social media. Meet Anthony!
OTHER TECHNOLOGY CAREERS
- Irwin - Founder and partner of Chromatix, a boutique web design and graphics studio
- Sarah - Freelance graphic designer running her own design business, Licorice Frog
- Rebecca - Information systems student working on websites for Target
- Julie - Freelance website programmer creating functionality for websites for clients here and overseas
Victoria is home to many world-class educational institutes that deliver technology courses including The University of Melbourne, Swinburne University, Monash University, Deakin University and RMIT University.
You'll find that many technology jobs require the completion of a university or TAFE course but you’ll find most university or TAFE courses don't require IT VCE subjects as a prerequisite.
To browse through the technology study options in Victoria, check out:
You can also check out the variety of university or TAFE ICT courses on offer across Victoria.
- Box Hill Institute – ICT and Information Management
- Chisholm Institute – Information Techology
- Deakin University – Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment
- Federation University Australia – Information Technology
- The Gordon Institute of TAFE – Information Techology
- Holmesglen – Computing and IT
- Kangan Institute – Information Technology
- La Trobe University – Information Technology
- Monash University – Faculty of Information Technology
- RMIT – School of Business, IT and Logistics
- RMIT – School of Science (Computer Science)
- Swinburne University – Information Technology
- The University of Melbourne – School of Computing and Information Systems
- Victoria University – Engineering and Science
Associations, Peak Bodies and Government Organisations
Find out about different areas of the ICT industry including jobs, careers and training opportunities from these leading industry websites:
- Australian Computer Society
- Australian Information Industry Association
- Australian Interactive Media Industry Association
- Australian Robotics and Automation Association
- Careers Education Association of Victoria
- Game Developers' Association of Australia
- Information Technology Professionals Association