Graduate recruitment programs are for students who have recently graduated from university with at least a Bachelor's degree.
These programs usually involve one or two years of full-time employment, including training and development programs in organisations like:
- government departments
- legal firms
- engineering companies
- international organisations.
Benefits of graduate recruitment programs
The benefits of graduate recruitment programs include:
- getting to spend time in different areas of an organisation
- gaining experience working in various types of roles
- getting training
- having mentors oversee your work
- building a network of invaluable contacts
- leading to ongoing employment.
How to find a graduate recruitment program
Depending on the organisation, graduate recruitment programs take place at different times of the year. Law firms often recruit early in the year followed by consulting and other private companies.
One important thing to remember is that recruitment can happen anywhere up to a year before your starting date, so it pays to get prepared to apply as early as you can.
As a general guide, application dates for positions starting the following year are:
- Law firms - January to February.
- Consulting/accounting/engineering firms - February to March.
- Government - March to April.
Most universities hold careers fairs during the graduate recruitment season. At these fairs you can meet representatives from government and industry in person.
Contact your university careers department or visit your university's website to find out when these careers fairs will take place.
Government graduate recruitment programs
- Victorian Government graduate recruitment positions are advertised on the Victorian Government Graduate Website. You can apply online at any time.
- Federal Government graduate recruitment positions are advertised on each individual department's website. The Graduate programs page has a list of links to all departmental graduate programs.
Graduate recruitment with private companies
Graduate positions in private companies are advertised in a variety of places. You could try:
- your university careers service
- job search websites
- directly contacting companies you're interested in working with
- registering with employment services
- the Graduate Opportunities website
How to apply for a graduate recruitment program
Applying for a graduate recruitment program is much the same as applying for any job. Graduate recruitment is very competitive, however.
Most employers use interviews and written tests to help them work out whether you're right for the job. You may be asked back for more than one interview.
When putting together your application, make sure you read the instructions carefully and include all requested documentation (for example, a copy of your qualification or driver license).
For more information about the job application process, visit: